toolbar icons just keep magically reappearing....
Quite possibly related to my continuing saga of how to get FF to sync reliably between my devices (thread: here http://tinyurl.com/k6p3s37), I deleted all the misbehaving icons. That seemed to solve 95% of the problem, at the cost of deleting the bookmarks of course. A couple I was able to rename to some good effect.
Then, suddenly I noticed havoc with the add-on toolbar as well. First, an add-on that had not sync'd was on my laptop, migrating from my desktop. I thought "Great. About time. Maybe sync is actually working well for a change."
I was happy to have the actual add-on sync, but its icon takes up too much space on the laptop Add-on bar, so I deleted the icon for that add-on (You Tube Downloader). And then I saw my laptop browser had also automatically added an icon for g-mail notifier. I deleted that too.
I closed the browser. The next time I came back---both add-ons have their icons right back on the add-on bar mysteriously. Plus, every time I restart the browser now a third icon, Ghostery, tells me it has updated to a new version. Except the new version is the old version so far as I can remember. Nothing's changed. Things tend not to update for real 3 times a day for several days!
No matter how many times I delete the two add-on Icons, they just keep reappearing. Not to mention, Ghostery keeps updating.
I've kinda given up trying to make sense of what FF does in sync. But is there any way to make these add-ons stop reappearing as icons on the laptop add-on bar? Yes, they so appear on my desktop. And if sync is now making it automatic on my laptop, that's a problem. but in the past, I used to be able to control that behavior. If I deleted the laptop icon, it would only affect whether to display it, not affect the desktop icon, or the add-on itself.
Any ideas appreciated.
Additional System Details
- npsitesafety (Official)
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.29
- Version 188.8.131.5233
- Shockwave Flash 12.0 r0
- Google Update
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.51.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.9
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.1.0
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealDownloader Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Nitro PDF plugin for Firefox and Chrome
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.2064
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- npmnqmp 989898989877
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0
Sometimes toolbars are missing because they are hidden, you just need to bring them back up. Visit this article to learn how to bring them back: Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars. You can learn tips and tricks at the same time.
If this doesn't work, report back to me so that I can help you further!
No, it's not a missing toolbar.
In the original thread, it was icons that kept being rearranged out of order on the bookmarks toolbar.
On this thread, on the add-on toolbar, all my toolbars are present. It is just that icons referenced (You Tube Video Downoader, for instance) keep placing themselves on the toolbar and keep reappearing. No matter how often they are deleted, they just keep reappearing.
Please continue with your original thread - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/986789
locking this thread as a duplicate