X
Tap here to go to the mobile version of the site.

Support Forum

How do I get rid of the "This Connection is Untrusted" message?

Posted

I have used my firefox browser for 1 1/2 without any problems. Now all the sites I go to give me the warning message that "This Connection is Untrusted." I can no longer access email or my university website to see my grades- nothing works. Even when I click that I understand the risks and verify the certificate, I can still only get so far- but it's never all the way to where I need to be. How can I get rid of this annoying problem?

I have used my firefox browser for 1 1/2 without any problems. Now all the sites I go to give me the warning message that "This Connection is Untrusted." I can no longer access email or my university website to see my grades- nothing works. Even when I click that I understand the risks and verify the certificate, I can still only get so far- but it's never all the way to where I need to be. How can I get rid of this annoying problem?

Additional System Details

Installed Plug-ins

I don't know what this means.

Application

  • User Agent:

More Information

jscher2000
  • Top 10 Contributor
3976 solutions 34724 answers

One reason for having the problem on MANY secure sites is a problem with the date on your system. For example, it could be the correct month and day but the wrong year.

Another reason might be software on your system that is intercepting your secure communications so it can either filter them (for your protection) or steal your data. This is more commonly seen on Windows, but is worth checking.

Have you been adding exceptions for these sites? If so, could you look at some of the certificates to see whether there is any pattern?

Firefox menu > Preferences > Advanced > Certificates mini-tab > "View Certificates" button > Servers tab

So for example, you may find that the issuer is one of the following:

  • Security software vendor such as ESET or BitDefender
  • Sendori or FiddlerRoot
  • Other

If you do find a pattern, that may help identify the culprit.

One reason for having the problem on MANY secure sites is a problem with the date on your system. For example, it could be the correct month and day but the wrong year. Another reason might be software on your system that is intercepting your secure communications so it can either filter them (for your protection) or steal your data. This is more commonly seen on Windows, but is worth checking. Have you been adding exceptions for these sites? If so, could you look at some of the certificates to see whether there is any pattern? Firefox menu > Preferences > Advanced > Certificates mini-tab > "View Certificates" button > Servers tab So for example, you may find that the issuer is one of the following: * Security software vendor such as ESET or BitDefender * Sendori or FiddlerRoot * Other If you do find a pattern, that may help identify the culprit.
cor-el
  • Top 10 Contributor
  • Moderator
13051 solutions 119538 answers

Are you on a Mac as the Question Details would suggest or on another platform?


You can also check the connection settings.

If you do not need to use a proxy to connect to internet then try to select "No Proxy" if "Use the system proxy settings" or one of the others do not work properly.

See "Firefox connection settings":

Are you on a Mac as the Question Details would suggest or on another platform? ----- You can also check the connection settings. *Firefox > Preferences/Options > Advanced > Network : Connection > Settings *https://support.mozilla.org/kb/Options+window+-+Advanced+panel If you do not need to use a proxy to connect to internet then try to select "No Proxy" if "Use the system proxy settings" or one of the others do not work properly. See "Firefox connection settings": *https://support.mozilla.org/kb/Firefox+cannot+load+websites+but+other+programs+can

Helpful Reply

Thanks jscher2000 and cor-el for your help! It turns out it was a date and time issue. I'm glad to say it's all fixed now! Thanks again!

Thanks jscher2000 and cor-el for your help! It turns out it was a date and time issue. I'm glad to say it's all fixed now! Thanks again!