New tab shows firefox start page and I can't change it
I updated to the latest version of firefox a few days ago (25.0.1). I had to reset my homepage - no problem. I then tried to reset the new tab page to show the history. This is proving impossible! I have gone to the same place - Options>General & Tab - to find where I can do it and nothing. More importantly the when the new tab opens it shows this horrible link: http://www.google.es/firefox?gws_rd=cr&ei=o5WOUq23LsqO0AXrhoCYCw which I don't trust. It's the firefox homepage for Spain. When I click in the address bar I have to click and drag the cursor to highlight all the the text before I can change the address. Before you just had to click once and type the first letter before your history options appeared. On top of all this there is a message "you're not on the latest version of Firefox. Upgrade today to get the best of the Web!" I have checked and reinstalled and everything else seems to tell me that I have the latest version.
Really really annoying. Please help
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.45.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.9 r900
- Google Update
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.04
- Citrix Online App Detector Plugin
- Intel web components updater - Installs and updates the Intel web components
- Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 22.214.171.1248
- A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Application Manager is installed on this machine.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.2
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 126.96.36.1993
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Album Plugin Utility Module
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0
You can use the SearchReset extension to reset some preferences to the default values.
Note that the SearchReset extension only runs once and then uninstalls automatically, so it won't show on the "Firefox > Add-ons" page (about:addons).
The page that opens in a new tab can be set via a pref on the about:config page and not via the user interface.
You can only set the home page in Options > General.
You can check the browser.newtab.url pref(s) on the about:config page.
See also this article about the New Tab page (about:newtab):
Modified by cor-el
Thanks, that was somewhat helpful. I was able to get rid of the firefox start page and replace it with a blank one or a url of my choosing. It also solved the problem of having to manually select all the text in the address bar. Now, How do I bring the history tabs back as an options? the instructions on the support page don't seem to apply to me! Didn't this use to be available in the same place that you set your homepage, i.e. Options>options>general?
You can set the browser.newtab.url pref to about:newtab if you want to open the page with the 3x3 tiles that show visited web pages in a new tab.
@alamshar can u till me how did u get rid of the firefox start page and replace it with a blank one or a url ?
I only managed to get it replaced with a blank url as per the cor-el above. I never managed to get the history images appear as before