As of the latest version, typing in the address bar suggests Google search terms in addition to suggestions from history. How can I change it to the previous mode of only suggesting from my history?
Additionally, this update seems to have removed the address bar autofilling the top suggestion as I type. How can I get this feature back as well?
Thanks in advance.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
You can check the browser.urlbar.autoFill pref(s) on the about:config page.
See "Prevent Firefox from automatically completing URLs":
Did you check the setting for the location bar.
- Firefox/Tools > Options > Privacy > Location Bar: When using the location bar, suggest:
Checked the about:config and all of the urlbar.autoFill settings are set to true already.
Also checked the location bar, it is set to only suggest History and Bookmarks already, not search suggestions.
Sounds that you aren't using the location bar, but use the search bar if you see search suggestions.
Make sure that toolbars like the "Navigation Toolbar" and the "Bookmarks Toolbar" are visible.
- Firefox menu button > Options
- View > Toolbars (press F10 to display the menu bar)
- Right-click empty toolbar area
Use Toolbar Layout (Customize) to open the Customize window and set which toolbar items to display.
- check that "Bookmarks Toolbar items" is on the Bookmarks Toolbar
- if "Bookmarks Toolbar items" is not on the Bookmarks Toolbar then drag it back from the toolbar palette into the Customize window to the Bookmarks Toolbar
- if missing items are in the toolbar palette then drag them back from the Customize window on the toolbar
- if you do not see an item on a toolbar and in the toolbar palette then click the "Restore Default Set" button to restore the default toolbar setup
No, I am using the location bar, as history and bookmark suggestions still show up. I've attached a picture of the issue. The search suggestions are highlighted with the red circle.
Additionally, you can see how despite filling "you" in there is no autofill. Before I could simply type "you" and hit enter to go right to youtube, but now I have to specifically select the suggestion.
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window.
Starting in safe mode did do the old way, so it seems to be an addon causing it. I suspect Tab Mix Plus, but I will post here when I am sure.
It was Tab Mix Plus, messed around with some options and it fixed it right up.
I also have the same problem and using tabmixplus addon. Would you please tell me how did u fix it?
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.