System restore won't complete due to unspecified error.
While accessing a certain website recently I mistakenly downloaded something called TVapp, I think. Since that time when logging onto Firefox I get music and/or talk radio along with advertising. I have attempted to complete a "system restore" several time with the same result....."System restore did not complete successfully. Files & settings not changed. DETAILS: An unspecified error occurred during system restore. I have changed the point of restoration numerous times with the same result.
The constant talking, music, advertising etc has resulted in my turning the volume down. I have no idea what is causing this problem but was instructed by a computer literate to perform a system restore. Since I've been unsuccessful in my attempt to do so what is my next option. I have run all my weekly scans, downloaded software from Microsoft to check for viruses. Everything has shown no virus. Can someone please give me some insight on how to resolve this problem. I am a computer novice so simple, exact instructions, please. Thanks.
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 11.9 r900
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.8
- Picasa plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 126.96.36.1990
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 188.8.131.52
- Version 0.9.4, copyright 1996-2008 The VideoLAN Teamhttp://www.videolan.org/
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Virtual Earth 3D 3.00080829001 plugin for Mozilla
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
This is not a Firefox related issue. This is an issue with the Windows System Restore feature.
This issue occurred to me earlier this month. It attempted to do a system restore, but it would not complete. I had to restore to a point months before the date.
I am not sure how to solve this or why this issue is caused.
Please try contacting the Windows support team.
I can help you with the TVapp issue, but not the system restore. I system restore for this issue does not seem needed.
Sometimes a problem with Firefox may be a result of malware installed on your computer, that you may not be aware of.
You can try these free programs to scan for malware, which work with your existing antivirus software:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner
- MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
- TDSSKiller - AntiRootkit Utility
- Hitman Pro
- ESET Online Scanner
Microsoft Security Essentials is a good permanent antivirus for Windows 7/Vista/XP if you don't already have one.
Further information can be found in the Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back soon.
Run System Restore from safe mode