So as of about 2/3 weeks ago my firefox hasn't been itself for some reason unknown to me. Every time i load it up it starts as a black tab then loads to google. This black tab problem happens on 90% of websites i open, before it loads the tab is black. Another problem I am having is with pop ups. I use a website and to download thing its a pop up and it works fine on IE and Chrome but with firefox it freezez and then Firefox crashes. I'm also getting a lot of what i would call lag again only with Firefox as it's taking longer than it used to, to do anything.
I have tried resetting it, I have tried uninstalling completely and reinstalling but still no difference. Btw I'm on Windows 8 if that helps anything.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
The black screens also randomly occur after iv opened the page (Its doing it the now)
Try Firefox Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode, which disables most add-ons.
(If you're not using it, switch to the Default theme.)
- On Windows you can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
- On Mac you can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the option key while starting Firefox.
- On Linux you can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by quitting Firefox and then going to your Terminal and running: firefox -safe-mode (you may need to specify the Firefox installation path e.g. /usr/lib/firefox)
- Or open the Help menu and click on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item while Firefox is running.
Once you get the pop-up, just select "'Start in Safe Mode"
If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one. Please follow the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article for that.
To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.
When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help other users who have the same problem.
What color is a blank tab? You can type or paste about:blank into the address bar and press Enter to open a blank tab.
In case this is caused by an incompatibility with your graphic card drivers, you could try disabling Firefox's use of hardware acceleration.
You need to restart Firefox in order for this to take effect, so save all work first (e.g., mail you are composing, online documents you're editing, etc.).
orange Firefox button (or Tools menu) > Options > Advanced
On the "General" mini-tab, uncheck the box for "Use hardware acceleration when available"
After restarting Firefox, do you notice any change?
Thank you Aniello, I was able to open Firefox in safemode correctly, I then disabled the proxy server and my issue went away. To do that: Options->Advanced->Network->*choose the no-proxy option*
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.