How do I keep programs from changing my home page
Everytime Firefox starts, another program keeps changing my home page. How do I stop this from happening?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.9 r900
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.04
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.2
- Amazon MP3 Downloader Plugin 1.0.17
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- Nitro PDF Plug-in for Firefox and Chrome
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Unity Player 3.1.0f4
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
This could be caused by either of the following (and possibly other things, but these are the ones that come to mind first):
(1) Bad Extension
You can review/disable/remove nonessential or unrecognized extensions here:
orange Firefox button (or Tools menu) > Add-ons > Extensions category
Usually a link will appear above at least one disabled extension to restart Firefox. You can complete your work on the tab and click one of the links as the last step.
(2) user.js file
This is a configuration file that overrides changes you made in Firefox every time you exit and restart the browser. To track down and remove such a file, check out the steps in this article: How to fix preferences that won't save.
Note: if it comes back, the home page URL might provide a cue as to what program on your computer is creating/editing the user.js file.