I have windows xp installed. No addons for firefox. After updating Nvidia driver, when I try to open the browser my computer reboots. Any advice?
Windows XP SP3 (no addons) Nvidia driver 306.81 + update
Additional System Details
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Shockwave Flash 11.8 r800
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
Try Firefox Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode, which disables most add-ons.
(If you're not using it, switch to the Default theme.)
- On Windows you can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
- On Mac you can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the option key while starting Firefox.
- On Linux you can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by quitting Firefox and then going to your Terminal and running: firefox -safe-mode (you may need to specify the Firefox installation path e.g. /usr/lib/firefox)
- Or open the Help menu and click on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item while Firefox is running.
Once you get the pop-up, just select "'Start in Safe Mode"
If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one. Please follow the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article for that.
To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.
When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help other users who have the same problem.
Or I thin trojen binned with nvidia
You say you have problems after updating Nvidia driver.
it has been said every Geforce driver after March or version 320 and up can be very unstable including causing bsod, restarting, crashing and the last version to work fine is 314.22 depending on the graphics card.
Modified by James
Thx, Anush for your advice. Now I know how to drop into the safe mode. I removed nvidia driver and Firefox started working without problem. I tried to instal different versions of nvidia driver. After they install I open Firefox with no problem. But after windows system automatically updates drivers, it happens again and again - firefox starts and PC reboots at once. I wouldn't like to upgrade windows xp to 7 or 8. May be there is incompatibility in system. Interesting that before I had use the same soft, the same drivers. A week ago I decided to reinstall the whole system with full formatting disk and I first encountered this problem
oldmukam, as you may have missed my post, try installing 314.22 or older driver.
Hi oldmuka, one reason Safe Mode helps is that it automatically disables Firefox from using hardware acceleration features. You can switch that off to see whether that solves your problem in normal mode. The article describing how to do that is linked about 3/4 of the way down in the earlier post: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/973516#answer-487081