When Firefox crashes, the crash reporter is pre-filled with my email address. How does it do this? I don't recall specifically giving it at any point in the past, other than registering for this help forum awhile back. Even if I *did* enter it in the crash box at some point in the past (it's very possible that happened and I just forgot), I still don't understand how it gets saved. I clear cookies every time I close the browser. (I use Ccleaner and have selected cookies set to "save," but Firefox and Mozilla are *not* among the "cookies to keep.") Is it stored in my profile once manually entered in a crash report? If so, how could I remove it? This question is more about curiosity than 'concern." Thanks.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Its because of a feature called auto-form fill.When you enter your Email-Id on the web it stores the Email-Id so as to help you to choose from the Email-id you have already entered , and thus not needing you to necessarily type your email Id again.
If you would like to disable this feature please follow the following steps
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button, go over to the History menu and select Clear Recent History….
- In the Time Range to clear: drop-down, select Everything.
- Click the arrow next to Details to display the list of items that can be cleared.
- Make sure only Form & Search History is check marked.
- Click Clear Now. The dialog box will disappear and your form history will be erased.
Have you ever sent a crash report before it was autofilled?
Note these auto fill results are stored on your own computer, Firefox is not using any external server to remember your data.
(Unless you are using sync to sync two devices in which case it does store data securely and only you can read it)
IMO, the Crash Reporter doesn't have access to "form fill" data within Firefox. I suspect the Owner of this thread filled in the email address with the first Crash Report that he sent, and that would be saved by the Crash Reporter for future use.
I suspect you're right the-edmeister, given that I have always kept the search-and-form history function disabled by unticking the checkbox for it in privacy/options. While I doubt I filled in my email address with the very first of my numerous crash reports (which about:crashes shows occurring four years), I'm almost sure I did provide it at some later point.
Regardless, the questions remain (1) exactly where is Firefox storing my email address for Crash Reporter's use, and (2) how could I stop it from showing up pre-filled in the Crash Reporter dialog if I choose to (NOT just keep it from being sent with the report by unticking the box next to the address)?
You can search for a crashreporter.ini file to see if that stores the email address.
- %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reports\crashreporter.ini
Based on that last suggestion I took a look at my crashreporter.ini file, which was actually located in Program Files/Mozilla/Firefox, but it doesn't contain my email address. I also looked through everything in %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reports, and it's not in any of those files either (unless it was encoded in the browser.dmp files -- which were largely non-text characters that I couldn't read -- but I wouldn't expect a browser dump to include my email address).
Any other ideas? I thought this was going to be a relatively easy one! :-)
Anything in the registry in one of these location?
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reporter\
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla\Firefox\Crash Reporter\
That's it. Thanks. While the first registry location you suggested doesn't exist for me, the second one does indeed include my email address as the value for the key "Email." (There are also keys for the other options you can tick or untick in the Crash Reporter dialog, namely EmailMe, IncludeURL and SubmitCrashReport.)
While I'm happy to leave the email address there for now (as I said, this was primarily a curiosity question), if at some point I did want to delete it do you think it would be safe to either change the value of the Email registry key from my email address to blank, OR delete the email key entirely from Crash Reporter registry entries?
You can change this setting EmailMe=0 and remove the entry that shows the email address
[Crash Reporter] EmailMe=0 IncludeURL=0 SubmitReport=0
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.