How do I get rid of the Browser update virus. It activates any time you go to a Firefox or IE browser. Long and tedious methods have been suggested to fix it. Basically as window opens on any Firefox web page saying it is time to update when I am already using Firefox 23.0.1
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Viruses can be tough adversaries.
If you haven't already, you may want to run some supplemental scanners. These three tools are highly regarded (and free):
- Malwarebytes Anti-malware : http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
- AdwCleaner : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ (ignore banner ads for other products)
- SUPERAntiSpyware : http://www.superantispyware.com/
Within Firefox, problem usually arise among the Extensions and when your settings keep reverting when you restart the browser, in a user.js file. These articles should help in tracking those down:
- Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems - I'd skip to the disable all section
- How to fix preferences that won't save
You can check the target command line in the Properties of Firefox desktop shortcut to make sure that nothing is appended.
Browser update is actually not a virus, it is a computer malware that can affect your computer system very badly. So it is necessary to remove this malware by using any browser update removal tool.