How do I remove the browser redirector virus
How do I get rid of the Browser update virus. It activates any time you go to a Firefox or IE browser. Long and tedious methods have been suggested to fix it. Basically as window opens on any Firefox web page saying it is time to update when I am already using Firefox 23.0.1
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.8 r800
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.03
- Shockwave Flash 11.6 r602
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.0-rc
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/23.0
Viruses can be tough adversaries.
If you haven't already, you may want to run some supplemental scanners. These three tools are highly regarded (and free):
- Malwarebytes Anti-malware : http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
- AdwCleaner : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ (ignore banner ads for other products)
- SUPERAntiSpyware : http://www.superantispyware.com/
Within Firefox, problem usually arise among the Extensions and when your settings keep reverting when you restart the browser, in a user.js file. These articles should help in tracking those down:
- Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems - I'd skip to the disable all section
- How to fix preferences that won't save
You can check the target command line in the Properties of Firefox desktop shortcut to make sure that nothing is appended.