I just made a new profile to use exclusively with an alternate version of Firefox. My regular version accidentally opened this new profile, so I tried using profile manager to set it back to the default. However, the profile manager is only showing my new profile. /appdata/roaming/mozilla/firefox/profiles shows that I still have my default and my new profile. Putting -P "default" in the target line just opens up profile manager. How do I switch back to my default profile or get it to show up in profile manager?
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
For future reference unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing never
- Delete profiles (Just remove shortcuts that use them)
- Rename profiles (It renames the Profiles manager entry not the folder)
- Use anything other than an empty folder for a new profile. Do not nest profile folders.
- What are the paths to the profiles that you have ?
- What is the content of your profiles.ini file
- it is a text file see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profiles.ini_file
When a profile doesn't show in the Profile Manager then you can register this profile by using the Profile Manager to create a new profile. You can click the "Choose Folder" button to make Firefox recognize and use an already existing profile.
It is best to create a desktop shortcut that selects a specific profile (-P "profile_name") to avoid opening a profile with the wrong Firefox version.
Make sure to select the profile for the default browser in the Profile Manager, so that is used when you click a link in an external program.
You can use the -no-remote command line switch to open another Firefox instance with its own profile and run multiple Firefox instances simultaneously.
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.