Until the Firefox 23 update I had no difficulty opening or saving pdfs in Firefox, but since the most recent update (Firefox 23) I often get error messages about damaged files when I use the download button and try to open or save files. I've checked with another browser and they open or save fine. I've tried disabling the pdf but it is cumbersome. I am using MSWord 7 if that makes any difference. Is there a fix coming for this?
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
In order to change the default reader for PDF files (to not open PDF files with Firefox's internal PDF reader), follow these steps:
- Go to Tools > Options (or Firefox > Options).
- In the Options window, select the Applications tab.
- In the Search field, type PDF. You should find Portable Document Format (PDF).
- On the right handside you should find an Action column. Use that to select Adobe Reader Plugin for Netscape (or something similar). Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
We're having the same issues: users on FF 23.01 can't open downloaded pdfs (acrobat reports a damaged file) whereas users on FF 22.x have no problems with the same PDFs.
The PDFs preview OK in the browser with the internal viewer.
As a workaround replacing the internal viewer with the acrobat plugin enables the PDFs to be downloaded as valid pdfs.
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.