FireFox Has Stopped Working
For the first month or so when I got firefox it ran fine, now as soon as I click the firefox icon on my desktop or on my start menu it instantly says FireFox has stopped working without even making a attempt to open! I have searched everywhere Google, Youtube Videos, but none of them work or help my problem also I have also noticed that all of the error messages in videos or other questions that have the "same" problem come AFTER they open firefox everything I saw on how to fix it never worked for me Because they all had a different problem that did not apply to mine.
Modified by penguingamer
Its alright now it turned out that firefox just needed more memory to openRead this answer in context 1
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1500.72 Safari/537.36
Hello penguingamer, can you start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while starting Firefox ?
Yes i have tried doing that but it doesn't work that often and it barley ever lets me open firefox I cant find any other web browsers and google chrome doesn't work.
None of your browsers work correctly any more? Two thoughts:
(1) Do you have a program control firewall that is blocking your browsers because they've updated? This article has more of a discussion of that possibility: Firefox can't load websites but other browsers can.
(2) Is it possible you are infected with malware? You may want to run some supplemental scans. These three tools are highly regarded (and free):
- Malwarebytes Anti-malware : http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
- SUPERAntiSpyware : http://www.superantispyware.com/
- AdwCleaner : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ (ignore banner ads for other products)
Try to reset Firefox. If that doesn't work, then try to re-install it, but try to install it from some other place than what you did the first time, because it might be a link-rot.
Boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.
That is a good point, a place you can trust.
Sometimes a problem with Firefox may be a result of malware installed on your computer, that you may not be aware of.
You can try these free programs to scan for malware, which work with your existing antivirus software:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner
- MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
- TDSSKiller - AntiRootkit Utility
- Hitman Pro
- ESET Online Scanner
Microsoft Security Essentials is a good permanent antivirus for Windows 7/Vista/XP if you don't already have one.
Further information can be found in the Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
I have done 7 full system scans with my antivirus software (which I had to pay for) and it detected nothing also I have only downloaded 1 thing and that is firefox I haven't downloaded anything else.
You should try the programs i linked above, no antivirus detects everything.
Also scanning with the same antivirus 7 times is a waste of your time.
I was having the same problem, I fixed just right clicking > Properties > Compatibility > Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
Its alright now it turned out that firefox just needed more memory to open