ZoneAlarm has hijacked my new tab pages, and https://support.mozilla.org/kb/new-tab-page-show-hide-and-customize-top-sites doesn't solve it.
This happens often - why no standard article?
OK guts, fixed it! The crucial action was : in about:config, find browser.download.lastDir, and reset it - ZoneAlarm (Checkpoint) had modified it!.Read this answer in context 0
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 11.7 r700
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.2
- Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 5.00 for Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0
Sometimes a problem with Firefox may be a result of malware installed on your computer, that you may not be aware of.
You can try these free programs to scan for malware, which work with your existing antivirus software:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner
- MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware
- TDSSKiller - AntiRootkit Utility
- Hitman Pro
- ESET Online Scanner
Microsoft Security Essentials is a good permanent antivirus for Windows 7/Vista/XP if you don't already have one.
Further information can be found in the Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Type about:config in Addressbar and search for browser.newtab.url and modify the value to about:newtab
In order to uninstall a possibly unwanted extension, please do the following:
- From the Firefox window click the Firefox button at the top left and select Add-ons, or, if the Firefox button is not shown, click the Tools menu and click Add-ons.
- Once the Add-on Manager has opened in a new tab, click the Extensions button on the left side of the window.
- You should now see a list of your installed extensions on the right side together with buttons on the right side of each extension.
- To remove an extension from Firefox, simply click the Remove button. You should see a message that informs you about the successful removal of the add-on.
- Note that some add-ons require a Firefox restart to be removed completely. To perform a Firefox restart after the add-on removal, click the Restart now link in the message.
You can find further information about uninstalling extensions in the following articles:
It's not malware, it's enemy action by ZoneAlarm, which insists on doing this. It isn't browser.newtab.url either, that's still about:newtab - must be somewhere else. I've fixed this before, but can't remember where exactly
It's not malware, it's enemy action by ZoneAlarm, which insists on doing this. I've got rid of the add-on, but the new tab still comes up with the thing. It isn't browser.newtab.url either, that's still about:newtab - must be somewhere else. I've fixed this before, but can't remember where exactly
check this thread: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/960332
OK guts, fixed it! The crucial action was : in about:config, find browser.download.lastDir, and reset it - ZoneAlarm (Checkpoint) had modified it!.