I've been downloading mods for a game I play through Firefox and recently I've noticed that multi-part files seem to be having some problem when downloading.
First, they seem to take forever to work, and then when I refresh the download, they immediately seem to be finished. All it does is scan for viruses and stop.
But once I open the file with WINRAR, it says that the archive is either of an unknown format or damaged. So I found the same file and downloaded it with a different browser, and it works.
My question is: how can I fix this problem simply? I've tried reinstalling Firefox, but it still has the same issue, likely because I kept all my settings and so on.
Any help would be great.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Try Firefox Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode, which disables most add-ons.
(If you're not using it, switch to the Default theme.)
- You can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
- Or open the Help menu and click on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item while Firefox is running.
Once you get the pop-up, just select "'Start in Safe Mode"
If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one. Please follow the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article for that.
To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.
When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help other users who have the same problem.
Ok, thank you. I saw the response earlier, but didn't respond right away because I was trying to see if it worked.
I believe the problem is with the RealPlayer downloader plugin.
It has been crashing like crazy lately, so I'm going to get rid of it and try to see if there is a bug-free version available.
I just downloaded something in safe mode, and it worked out fine, so I think that is the problem.
I might also update my ad blocker.
Alright, and one more piece of the problem.
I got another add-on that was supposed to block ads, and when I got rid of that, it seems to work now.
I may post again if I figure out something else, but I think the issues are over.
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.