I just do not like seeing the thumbnails pop up on my screen. It takes time to go through and delete each one. I am new to firefox because my computer was compromised and my original browser was corrupted. I do not want anyone to observe personal information that pops up on those thumbnails. Please tell a lay person the steps to shut them down. Thank you!
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
hello WoodrowB, please refer to How do I turn the new tab page off?.
Thank you, Philipp. I was able to complete the steps provided in your solution.
Note that this only hides the about:newtab page, but Firefox is most likely still generating the thumbnail.
You can create these Boolean prefs on the about:config page if you want to disable the thumbnails on the about:newtab page.
- name: browser.pagethumbnails.capturing_disabled with value: true
- name: pageThumbs.enabled with value: false
You may need to delete the thumbnails folder in the Firefox profile folder to remove already stored icons.
You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder (Open Directory)
Type about:config in the location (address) bar and press the "Enter" key to open the about:config page, just like you open a website by typing the URL in the location bar.
- If you see a warning message then you can confirm that you want to access the about:config page.
- use the Search bar at the top of the about:config page to locate preferences more easily
- preferences that have been modified and do not have the default value show as bold (user set)
- preferences that are user set (bold) can be reset to the default value via the right-click context menu
- preferences can be changed via the right-click context menu: Modify (String or Integer) or Toggle (Boolean) or by double-clicking the line with the pref
- preferences can be created via the right-click context menu: New -> String, Integer, Boolean
Philipp lead me to the answer. Thank you.
That way you only hide the new tab page, but you still have this about:newtab page and also Firefox is still generating the thumbnails, so click the grid icon will immediately display your recently visited web pages with thumbnails.
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.