Out of nowhere Firefox stopped working. When I start Firefox that main window pops up with my bookmarks visible but my homepage doesn't, the window is blank. When I try to click in the window the title bar says "not responding". When I click on Details it shows the following error message:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1 Application Name: firefox.exe Application Version: 188.8.131.5279 Application Timestamp: 518ec3cc Hang Signature: 337e Hang Type: 1 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Hang Signature 1: 337e2e97cafd6c9fa279a54a8c89e8aa Additional Hang Signature 2: 9ffe Additional Hang Signature 3: 9ffe31d768dc3953ccf21daee671146b Additional Hang Signature 4: cc79 Additional Hang Signature 5: cc794925a0fcac252c4b2ebc413fc29b Additional Hang Signature 6: c156 Additional Hang Signature 7: c1568438768b188420c05cfb9ff060b9
I tried booting into Safe made, Firefox works! I tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting, same error as above. No new programs have been installed in months and no new Windows updates. I have Windows Update off.
Any ideas on how to fix this? I don't want to go back to Internet Explorer!
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
- Problem with your Addons or Toolbars, Remove your unwanted toolbars/Addons
- Check your Addons are updated!
In order to uninstall a possibly unwanted extension, please do the following:
- From the Firefox window click the Firefox button at the top left and select Add-ons, or, if the Firefox button is not shown, click the Tools menu and click Add-ons.
- Once the Add-on Manager has opened in a new tab, click the Extensions button on the left side of the window.
- You should now see a list of your installed extensions on the right side together with buttons on the right side of each extension.
- To remove an extension from Firefox, simply click the Remove button. You should see a message that informs you about the successful removal of the add-on.
- Note that some add-ons require a Firefox restart to be removed completely. To perform a Firefox restart after the add-on removal, click the Restart now link in the message.
You can find further information about uninstalling extensions in the following articles:
I disabled everything, same problem. When I click on the Firefox icon it asks me if I want to start in safe mode, I do that but nothing happens. However, If I click on the link to this page from my email it asks if I want to start in safe mode, that works! So I can open it in safe mode from a link but every other way locks it up. Very frustrating.
If you have submitted crash reports then please post the IDs of one or more recent crash reports that have a "bp-" prefix:
You can find the IDs of the submitted crash reports on the about:crashes page.
- You can open the about:crashes page via the location bar, like you open a website, or open this page via "Help > Troubleshooting Information".
Boot the computer in Windows Safe Mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.
You can use the MSConfig program or the Autoruns utility to see which software and services are getting started.
I have tried booting the computer into safe mode, when I do Firefox runs fine.
There is no crash report, when I click on Firefox the Firefox windows pops up with the headers and bookmarks but a blank screen in the window. If I click in the window Firefox grays out and says "Not Responding" in the title bar.
Like I said, nothing changed on my computer. Firefox had been running great since February. I shut down one day and the next this whole issue started. I believe it was after Firefox updated itself to version 20. Version 18 and 19 were fine. When I reinstalled I tried 21 which is the version I'm now troubleshooting.
Which programs are started by default if you check that with MSConfig?
Well I got it working. It is Adobe Flash Plug-In that is killing Firefox. I uninstalled Flash then Firefox worked. I tried reinstalling Flash, Firefox stopped working, I uninstalled Flash again and Firefox now works. But now I have no Flash!!!
Is this a known issue with Firefox and Flash? Any idea when they will be compatible again?