Why does Firefox not play a webm video until the complete file is downloaded?
Firefox won't start playing webm videos until the complete video is in downloaded/cached.
Server side seems fine: Content-Type is OK (video/webm), apache2.2.22 (returns 206 for Range:0- requests),..
Problem exists with
* Nighly 24.0a1 (2013-05-17) Linux 32bit * Firefox 21.0 * Iceweasel (10.0.12 from debian)
Works fine with other browsers (e.g. chromium, epiphany,...) Might be similar to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=502894#c1
Is this a bug? An issue with HTML5
Thanks in advance
Additional System Details
- MozPlugger version 1.14.3, maintained by Louis Bavoil and Peter Leese, a fork of plugger written by Fredrik Hübinette.For documentation on how to configure mozplugger, check the man page. (type man mozplugger) Configuration file:/etc/mozpluggerrc Helper binary:mozplugger-helper Controller binary:mozplugger-controller Link launcher binary:mozplugger-linker
- Version: 188.8.131.52
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.14
- Version 1.1.11 The Luggage, copyright 1996-2007 The VideoLAN Teamhttp://www.videolan.org/
- This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.
- Gecko Media Player 1.0.4Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer
- DivX Web Player version 184.108.40.206
- The Totem 2.30.2 plugin handles video and audio streams.
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r181
- The next generation Java plug-in for Mozilla browsers.
- Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible version 0.4.0.626 built with gcc 3.2.0 on Jul 26 2007
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:21.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/21.0
Recent crashes of certain multimedia contents (this includes Youtube videos, certain flash games and other applications) in conjunction with Firefox are most probably caused by a recent Flash 11.3 update and/or a malfunctioning Real Player browser plugin.
In order to remedy the problem, please perform the steps mentioned in these Knowledge Base articles:
Other, more technical information about these issues can be found under these Links:
Please tell us if this helped!
There is no flash involved.
I see the same happening and the full video (?) gets loaded.
If I disable WebM (media.webm.enabled -> false) then I get the Gecko media player plugin that displays the video after a short buffering.