Browser freezes on Mac OS X 10.8.2; says "Connecting..." indefinitely
After I've been using Firefox to browse for half an hour or so on my Macbook Pro, especially when I've been reading comics, the browser stops loading pages and just says "Connecting..."
I try to close the browser, but it requires me to Force Quit. Once I do, I cannot restart it; it says an instance of Firefox is already running and must be closed.
The laptop is new. I just bought it last week, and I'm already having this problem. Both OS X and Firefox have been updated. Other browsers work, but the solutions in the "Firefox can't load websites but other browsers can" section did not solve the problem.
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_2) AppleWebKit/536.26.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.2 Safari/536.26.17
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
If there are problems with updating or with the permissions then easiest is to download the full version and trash the currently installed version to do a clean install of the new version.
Download a new copy of the Firefox program and save the disk image (dmg) file to the desktop
- Firefox 19.0.2: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
- Trash the current Firefox application (e.g. open the Applications folder in the Finder and drag the Firefox application to the Trash) to do a clean (re-)install
- Install the new version that you have downloaded
Your profile data is stored elsewhere in the Firefox Profile Folder, so you won't lose your bookmarks and other personal data if you uninstall and (re)install Firefox.
I still have this problem. I use Windows 7 with Mozilla 23.0.1. I tried doing the reset above about a week ago. But the problem reoccurred today. It only happens intermittently. Other browsers are ok. When this happens I have to stop Firefox from running in Task Manager and then restart and then it is ok for a while...
davidbundy, may you please ask a new question instead of posting in someone elses (and a old thread) thread, your problem may or may not be different than the OP's, and seperate threads make it more likely to solve everybodys problems.