This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Problem loading YAHOO Daily Ticker videos
FF Ver. 19.0.2
I can no longer load YAHOO videos from the above link with Firefox (but can with other browsers). All I get is a large rotating circle (similar to buffering symbol).
Thanks for your help!
Modified by rbir
All Replies (12)
Check your plugins are updated!
Reload the webpage while bypassing the cache using one of the following steps:
- Hold down the Shift key and click the Reload button with a left click.
- Press Ctrl + F5 or Ctrl + Shift + R (Windows and Linux)
- Press Command + Shift + R (Mac)
Let us know if this solves the issues you are having.
Earlier today I checked the plug-ins and noticed that the REAL plug-ins were noted as "Unknown" .
Then, I downloaded the latest version of Real Player but I am still receiving the same messages.
I did reload the YAHOO webpage while bypassing the cache, but am still having the problem.
Here are the messages I am getting regarding the REAL plug-ins:
1) RealDownloader Plugin RealDownloader Plugin Unknown plugin Research
2) RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In (32-bit) RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In Unknown plugin Research
3) RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In (32-bit) RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In Unknown plugin Research
4) RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In (32-bit) RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In Unknown plugin
5) RealPlayer Download Plugin RealPlayer Download Plugin Unknown plugin Research
Modified by rbir
Disable your realplayer plugin and check it out
I disabled Real and still no luck.
I think YAHOO changed something in the format of these videos and there may be some kind of conflict with Firefox? They load right away on IE.
I have not noticed a problem with any other videos on Firefox - just the ones at http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/
Try Firefox Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode, which disables most add-ons.
(If you're not using it, switch to the Default theme.)
- You can open Firefox 4.0+ in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
- Or open the Help menu and click on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item while Firefox is running.
Once you get the pop-up, just select "'Start in Safe Mode"
If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one. Please follow the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article for that.
To exit the Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.
When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help other users who have the same problem.
You can check for problems with current Flash plugin versions and try these:
- disable a possible RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension for Firefox and update the RealPlayer if installed
- disable protected mode in Flash 11.3 and later
- disable hardware acceleration in the Flash plugin
iamjayakumars and cor-el,
Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate your interest in my problem and the time you took to help me.
I have tried everything and unfortunately I can't get the YAHOO video to play.
I think I will just use IE for those and stay with FF for everything else. I really don't care much for IE, so I will try FF from time to time (after updating plug-ins) to see if the videos play.
I will also check this link to see if others are having the same problem and/or for updates.
Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.
See "Creating a profile":
If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from an existing profile to the new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.
You may still have to do the above Flash troubleshooting steps.
Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.
I had the same problem with Yahoo videos. I found it to be specific to the latest Firefox version (as well as the latest version of Google Chrome). Internet Explorer works fine for Yahoo videos.
I reverted to an older version of Firefox. and the problem went away. Also, I had to disable automatic updates of the browser until Yahoo and Mozilla get this fixed. Also, if you're in Windows 8, don't click Help->About Firefox or it will automatically update to the latest version of Firefox.
You can get version 10 of Firefox at:
I'd suggest we send feedback to Yahoo (I clicked Feedback at the bottom of a Yahoo page, and wrote telling them their videos don't play with newer browsers :-)
Error playing Yahoo videos Yahoo Video seriously struggles to load and give error everytime I try to play. I have latest version of Adobe flash player installed and it works well for most of the other sites. So its a problem only related to Yahoo Videos site. Kindly do something on this. Thank you.
Problem solved! I downloaded and installed Firefox 24.0 Beta. Apparently Mozilla programming team made all the right changes in the new release. Now all videos starting working on Yahoo and BBC.
Finally, success, so far...
With the downloading of FF 24.0...albeit still considered "beta", BOTH Yahoo video's and BBC video's stared playing again.
In an abundance of caution, we updated FF to 24.0, triple-checked the firewall settings here -- no proxy's are in use, either -- and then re-booted the local machine (Win 7 64bit, Intel i5 dual-core based Asus)...and...
BOTH Yahoo video's and BBC video's stared playing again. And so far have remained playing "normally" again.
ALSO, the few Yahoo Daily Tickers that we use are also playing normally again.
Wonders never truly cease.