All I get in the menu bar when I open Firefox IS "Firefox"--no bookmarks, no nothing. How canI get bookmarks back and Firefox functioning.
I have used Firefox forever. (I also use Thunderbird.) When I opened Firefox all I get now in the menu bar is the word "Firefox" with the "About Firefox," "Preferences," etc. list. Nothing else. I cannot open Firefox and I cannot quit it, either. I can do nothing with it at all. How can I get it back. I need my hundreds of bookmarks.
I use a MAC with Lion 10.7.5
Please help. Thank you.
Michael A. Smith
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_5) AppleWebKit/537.22 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/25.0.1364.99 Safari/537.22
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Try to repair the disk permissions:
Try to remove the Firefox plist file (org.mozilla.firefox.plist).
- http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20060606082246983 How .plist files become corrupt and troubleshooting the results
Go to "~/Library/Preferences" and remove the plist file for Firefox (org.mozilla.firefox.plist)
I thought the last answer would work, but it does not. When I go to LIbrary all that is there is "Global.regs" and there is nothing there.
In the menu bar I cannot go to t eh Help Menu, because there is no help menu. There is only " Firefox." Nothing else.
Thanks for the suggestions at any rate.
Try to trash the current Firefox version and reinstall a fresh Firefox version.
Download a new copy of the Firefox program and save the disk image (dmg) file to the desktop
- Firefox 19.0.2: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
- Trash the current Firefox application (e.g. open the Applications folder in the Finder and drag the Firefox application to the Trash) to do a clean (re-)install
- Install the new version that you have downloaded
Your profile data is stored elsewhere in the Firefox Profile Folder, so you won't lose your bookmarks and other personal data if you uninstall and (re)install Firefox.
If this didn't help then also try a new profile.
See "Creating a profile":
If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from an existing profile to the new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.