This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
How do I empty, -not- remove, the "Most VIsited Bookmarks" list
I want to clear this list completely and allow it to repopulate based on my browsing going forward.
But no matter how many entries I delete using the History menu, it keeps refilling with old sites.
How do I empty it??
All Replies (4)
Update your Firefox to latest version Firefox 19.0.2
Many site issues can be caused by corrupt cookies or cache. In order to try to fix these problems, the first step is to clear both cookies and the cache. Note: This will temporarily log you out of all sites you're logged in to. To clear cache and cookies do the following:
- Go to Firefox > History > Clear recent history or (if no Firefox button is shown) go to Tools > Clear recent history.
- Under "Time range to clear", select "Everything".
- Now, click the arrow next to Details to toggle the Details list active.
- From the details list, check Cache and Cookies and uncheck everything else.
- Now click the Clear now button.
Further information can be found in the Clear your cache, history and other personal information in Firefox article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
By all means update to the latest Firefox version as iamjayakumars suggested. Note that Firefox 20 is scheduled for release on Tuesday, April 2, 2013.
New Tab Page:
Please read the following - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/954972#answer-422195
Other - Check your plugins and update as needed.
- Check your plugins - https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.13.2 for Mozilla browsers
Modified by TheOldFox
As I understand it this is intended behaviour, and so to clear it you would normally have to clear all your History.
As background information note that previously there was a smart search feature that allowed searches of the library be saved.
- see old & archived Smart Bookmarks folders
You may however add a special bookmarklet designed to work with the Firefox library so if you wish to fiddle around
- try this it will start from midnight on the morning of the current day
- or this where the xx... indicates Unix time
- place:queryType=0&sort=8&maxResults=10&beginTimeRef=0&beginTime= 1364748505
- and a converter (many others available) http://www.epochconverter.com
Note unlike an ordinary bookmarklet you will need to restart firefox for these to take effect. I would not like to guarantee they will always continue to work.
I dare-say there is an addon available that does something similar.
You can't clear the Most Visited Bookmark list. If you do not want this list then you will have to remove (delete) this smart folder.
- "Most Visited" and "Recently Bookmarked" and "Recent Tags" are examples of so called Smart Bookmarks folders and are not real existing folders.
- Such smart folders show a list created by a query of the places.sqlite database that stores the bookmarks and the history in Firefox.
- Smart folder lists show a maximum of 10 entries by default.
- Bookmarks or history items that show up in a smart folder list are stored elsewhere in another folder and any changes made are applied to the real bookmark or history item.
- If you remove an entry then the list is shifted up and a new entry that wasn't shown previously is added to show 10 entries.
- If you add a new bookmark or visit a website then a new item is added at the top and the entry at the bottom disappears from that list.
- Items that disappear from the list are not gone, but merely do not show up anymore in that list.
- Actions like copy & paste or delete that you perform on bookmarks in such a list are done on the original bookmark.
- If you do not want a specific list then remove that query (right-click: Delete), but do not delete the content that is displayed in such a list.