Not knowing anything about Sync but enthusiastic about its advantages, I followed the directions for setting up a Sync account in my new laptop. Then realized I should have started with my main computer which has all the data that I want to transfer to the new one. However, Firefox won't let me set up the sync account in my main computer because it says I already have an account. It gave me a code to link the main computer to the new one, and I did this. Now I'm afraid to sync for fear that this will wipe out the info in my main computer rather than transferring it to the new one. Is this true, and if so, how can I start over and get Firefox to let me establish the sync account in my main computer?
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Don't know what is it and how to use it see this:
NOT SOLVED! Thanks, I've read all this, but it still doesn't tell me how to resolve the problem that I set up Sync initially in my new computer and not in my main computer. What can I do about that? It appears to be a problem.
Note: This is the first time I have submitted a question, and though I appreciate getting a response, it doesn't answer my specific question, which I have re-iterated above. I see that the website has marked the problem solved, but it isn't. I would really appreciate help with this problem, which isn't covered in the link provided.
- Tools/Firefox > Options > Sync > Manage Account > Reset Sync (change settings)
Thanks, cor-el, This looks promising, but I need a little more help. I got as far as the choice of the following three things:
1. Recommended: Merge this device’s data with my Sync data
2. Replace all data on this device with my Sync data
3. Replace all other devices with this devices data
I'm pretty sure that #2 is wrong, but I'm not sure whether to choose #1 or #3. Re #1, I guess my Sync data now is the nothing that's on the new laptop, so merging this main device's data with the Sync data should yield the right result. Re #3, it says Replace all other devices -- which I assume means all other devices' data (?) -- with this device's data, which should also work. However, I'm not sure whether my assumptions are right and which would work best. so please advise. Then see follow-up question below:
I still have the issue that the main computer is linked to the new laptop, so what do I do next? Is the link a two-way street or one-way. I don't think I can link the laptop to the main computer now that I've done it the other way. Would that argue for #3?
Thanks to you, I think I'm close to resolving this problem, but I need some additional help, for which I will be most grateful.
You can consider to move over that data manually via an USB stick or other portable media.
You would need an HTML backup for the bookmarks if you want to preserve some on the other computer.
That way you can control which data to move over.
I do not have enough experience and knowledge about Sync to be sure that it will work as intended. You can unlink the other (destination) computer temporarily and first set up the originating (source) computer with the (3) "Replace all other devices with this device's data" setting.
You can then reconnect the other computer and use one of the other settings (1, 2) to sync data with that computer. You can use replace if you do not need to keep specific data.
- Merge this device's data with my Sync data
- Replace all data on this device with my Sync data
- Add-ons - Bookmarks - Passwords - Preferences - History - Tabs (tabs expire after a week)
Thanks, this was very helpful. Problem is now solved. Elbara
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.