Why have I lost access to my homepage (msn.com) for two days? All other websites are OK.
Up until two days ago, I had access to all websites. But now I can't access my homepage (msn.com) -- the address shows correctly in the address field, but the page is completely blank (white), and there is no error message showing. I seem to have access to all other websites, and can access msn.com from Internet Explorer. My operating system is Windows XP. I have disabled all my add-ons, cleared cache, history, cookies, etc., but nothing seems to work. I have the latest version of Firefox on my computer and have the latest Java and Flash updates as well. Can someone tell me what happened and how to fix it? I am a 66 yr. old female, NOT a "techie," and do not understand "geek" talk, so your reply should be in non-technical language. Thank you.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.6 r602
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.15.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.02
- Google Update
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- McAfee MSC FF plugin DLL
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 188.8.131.528
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
Reload web page(s) and bypass the cache to refresh possibly outdated or corrupted files.
- Press and hold Shift and left-click the Reload button.
- Press "Ctrl + F5" or press "Ctrl + Shift + R" (Windows,Linux)
- Press "Command + Shift + R" (MAC)
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
You can use one of these to start Firefox in Safe mode:
- On Windows, hold down the Shift key while starting Firefox with a double-click on the Firefox desktop shortcut
- On Mac, hold down the Options key while starting Firefox
- Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled
If it works in Safe mode or with all extensions (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) disabled then try to find which is causing it by enabling one extension at a time until the problem reappears.
Close and restart Firefox after each change via "File > Exit" (Mac: "Firefox > Quit"; Linux: "File > Quit")
Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.
You can also do a malware check.
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
Please scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner:
- Windows Defender: Home Page:
- Spybot Search & Destroy:
- Kasperky Free Security Scan:
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked