Downloaded different versions none work. will not open vista64
a few months ago fine then I don't know what caused it but now FF won't open. Uninstalled,tried different versions and still. using vista 64. Please help I love FF. I uninstalled any program that I thought had a slight chance of affection FF. no results. Last option is to reformat drive and start over.I miss my fox.
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.22 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/25.0.1364.97 Safari/537.22
Hi there. Perhaps formatting is the only option you're left with it as you've already tried uninstalling the file.
No, it isn't the only option you have left.
When you try to install Firefox, do you get an error message, a crash report, etc.? Walk me through exactly what happens
A possible cause is security software (firewall,anti-virus) that blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.
Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
You can use one of these to start Firefox in Safe mode:
- On Windows, hold down the Shift key while starting Firefox with a double-click on the Firefox desktop shortcut
- On Mac, hold down the Options key while starting Firefox
- Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled
Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.
See "Creating a profile":
If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from an existing profile to the new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.
After install I click on FF Icon then nothing. When I look at task manager it shows firefox running but that's it.
Formatting the drive is the last option
Hello oye411, you still have options : try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps ? (If works in Windows Safe mode then you have a problem with other software, like security software[antivirus, firewall] or a system driver, that is running on your computer).
also you can try a clean re-install: Certain Firefox problems can be solved by performing a Clean reinstall. This means you remove Firefox program files and then reinstall Firefox. Please follow these steps:
Note: You might want to print these steps or view them in another browser.
- Download the latest Desktop version of Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org and save the setup file to your computer.
- After the download finishes, close all Firefox windows (click Exit from the Firefox or File menu).
- Delete the Firefox installation folder, which is located in one of these locations, by default:
- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
- Mac: Delete Firefox from the Applications folder.
- Linux: If you installed Firefox with the distro-based package manager, you should use the same way to uninstall it - see Install Firefox on Linux. If you downloaded and installed the binary package from the Firefox download page, simply remove the folder firefox in your home directory.
- Now, go ahead and reinstall Firefox:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file and go through the steps of the installation wizard.
- Once the wizard is finished, choose to directly open Firefox after clicking the Finish button.
Please report back to see if this helped you!
Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.