Call Me Crazy- Firefox Scrolling and Internet Explorer
I Love FireFox and use it almost exclusively except when sites demand it. But one thing I always envied Internet Explorer for was its superior smooth scrolling. Last night, my FireFox scrolling was as smooth and clean as IE's and I couldnt figure out for the life of me Why? -What Changed? I had updated my Synaptics Touchpad drivers last week, so I thought somehow that might be it, but why would I all of a sudden notice the change now when I use FF daily. I set IE and FireFox side by side in Win7 and tested back and forth- they were identical. I was elated!!! But still confused. I rebooted. Launched FireFox and the effect was gone, it was back to normal. I checked my Synaptic Control Panel, no changes. FireFox settings, no change. I went to bed wondering if I had imagined it all.
This morning, I ran through my head the experience last night trying to figure it out. I sat down to work, and had a thought. I had rebooted yesterday, then launched IE because I was checking for auto updates at IE dependent site. I then launched FireFox while IE was in the background... was that it?
YES IT WAS and I can duplicate it. Reboot, launch IE and leave it open, fire up FF = awesome touchpad scrolling. I can close IE and still have the better experience with FF. If I reboot, open FF first, back to normal scrolling. Now, the question- WHY?
Just or the record, system info: Windows 7 m17x r4 laptop with all the latest drivers, IE 9, FF 19.
Any thoughts on how to make this effect permanent?
Additional System Details
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.15.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.6 r602
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.02
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- McAfee MSC FF plugin DLL
- Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology
- Intel web components updater - Installs and updates the Intel web components
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
Is smooth scrolling enabled in Firefox?
- Tools > Options > Advanced > General: Browsing: "Use smooth scrolling"
Try to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox.
- Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing: "Use hardware acceleration when available"