Why won't the "Flexible Space" item stay in my toolbar?
I open the Customize window, to place various icons in the toolbar, and it's all good, however, no matter how many times I add the "Flexible Space" icon, it won't stay, nor am I able to widen the search window, which is VERY frustrating, as it is far too narrow. It was working before I wrongly updated to FF 19, but since re-installing 18, this function will not work.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.6 r602
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.6.8
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Version 188.8.131.5284
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.16
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
The location bar (400) and search bar (100) have a flex attribute that overrides regular flexible space and you can't use this to affect the width of the location bar and the search bar.
You can place the mouse pointer between the location bar and the search bar and it will become a resize icon that you can drag right or left with the left mouse button pressed to change the relative width of the two bars.
You can check for problems with the localstore.rdf file.
Placing the mouse pointer there is how it used to work, now it does not. Trying to replace or remove the localstore.rdf file looks a bit complicated, but I may try putting the one in my "old FF" file, which unfortunately is the newer one, since I had upgraded, then downgraded, so it's got whatever the file in 19 was (which I don't recall as to whether the spacer was working or not)... IF that doesn't work, well, maybe I'll see about the other method. It seems like a lot of work to get one small feature functioning, as the other icons all worked fine.