http://canada.consumers-research.com has hijacked my Firefox.
About 2-3 days ago a popup questionnaire began plaguing me. The address that pops up with the popup is listed above: http://canada.consumers-research.com . It hijacks both audio and opens a separate window, which can only be closed by right clicking on FF icon in the taskbar. If you <x> it, it does not close.
I already installed Lavasoft's adaware software, to no avail.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.23
- Version 126.96.36.19992
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.11.2 for Mozilla browsers
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.2
- Google Update
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 188.8.131.528
- A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Application Manager is installed on this machine.
- Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology
- Intel web components updater - Installs and updates the Intel web components
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 184.108.40.206
- QUAKE LIVE
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
I will let the question stay posted for awhile longer before I follow your steps. I would rather know how to pinpoint the problem and snipe it out rather than nuke it. If anyone has a suggestion whose expertise is sniping, I'd like to hear it.