How can I open tabs from my mobile device on my desktop?
Currently I'm having a desktop(Win7 x64), Mobile phone (Galaxy S2) and a tablet (Galaxy Note 10.1) Both of which run Android 4.0.4. (Also, neither is rooted) All three are running Firefox and I'm quite happy with the overall performance. There is one small thing that puzzles me, which has to do with sync. All three are currently running FF 18.0.2.
The problem I'm experiencing is in the sync procedure itself: I can see which tabs I have opened on my PC on both the phone and tablet, but the reverse is only possible by going to about:sync-tabs. The little arrow that should show them (the one with tab-groups) only shows local tabs that are opened. Is there any way in which I can make the tabs appear on my PC without having to go to the about:sync-tabs page?
Should you require more information I'd be happy to provide it!
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
I'm sorry you are having issues with Sync! :(
For starters for the best help with this issue, follow the link provided in this post.
If this does not help resolve your issue please let me know and I will help you further.
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I have already followed those steps in that article. The last step I took was completely resetting my sync data. The problem isn't the items syncing, because they do, but rather having to use a workaround to get to those tabs. It isn't a major issue, but it's not working as intended. I don't consider myself a novice user, so if you have a solution that requires changing variables I can handle it.
Modified by Sumeron
I'm sorry that the first solution did not help solve your problem.
It is difficult for me, as we do not have a large number of people working on the Firefox android support side as we do generalized desktop Firefox.
Allow me to do some research with my test device and I'll get back to you within a hour or less.
Thank you for your patience.
It's okay, there is absolutely no hurry. This is just a minor inconvenience, the general user experience of Firefox is absolutely great. Just for added clarity: Items are syncing across platforms, and I can open Desktop tabs on my android devices. On my desktop I have to go to about:sync-tabs first to see them instead of clicking the arrow-icon that was added as a part of tab groups back when Firefox 4 was released.
I researched through many articles and was unfortunately not able to find a solution to you're problem.
Have you tried uninstalling Firefox and then reinstalling it on your computer?
If not follow the steps below:
Certain Firefox problems can be solved by performing a Clean reinstall. This means you remove Firefox and any leftover program files and then reinstall Firefox. Please follow these steps one by one:
- Download the latest Desktop version of Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org and save the setup file to your computer.
- After the download finishes, close all Firefox windows (click Exit from the Firefox or File menu) and confirm all upcoming messages.
- Now, uninstall Firefox by following the steps mentioned in the Uninstall Firefox article.
IMPORTANT: On Windows, the uninstaller has the option to remove your personal data and settings. Make sure that you do not check this option; otherwise all of your bookmarks, passwords, extensions, user customizations and other Firefox user profile data will be removed from your computer.
After uninstalling Firefox on Windows, delete the "Mozilla Firefox" program folder, located by default in one of these locations:
- (On 32-bit Windows) C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- (On 64-bit Windows) C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
- Go to the Windows Start menu and click on "Computer".
- In the Explorer window that opens, double click Local Disk (C:) to open the C:\ drive.
- Find the "Program Files (x86)" folder or "Program Files" folder.
- On 32-bit Windows, double-click the Program Files folder to open it.
- On 64-bit Windows, you will see a "Program Files (x86)" folder AND a "Program Files" folder. Open the Program Files (x86) folder.
- Look for a Mozilla Firefox folder. If you find one, right-click it and select Delete and confirm that you want to move the folder to the Recycle Bin.
Now, go ahead and reinstall Firefox:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file and go through the steps of the installation wizard.
- Once the wizard is finished, choose to directly open Firefox after clicking the Finish button.
Please report back to see if this helped you!
*Note: test device is currently experiences issues, so I was unable to recreate the issue you are experiencing.*
Modified by SupportJakeH
Followed your answer to the letter, still the same situation as before: I can see the synced tabs in the about:sync-tabs part, but still the arrow-icon only shows tabs from my current session on the desktop. It's not a big problem now that I know tabs are synced but I'm still curious if we can work this out together. Would any data from my Firefox be helpful, or do you have diagnostic tools I can run for you? I'd love to help fix this issue. I'm currently trying to disable any addons to see where I get from here, will update when that's done.
Disabled all add-ons and plugins, still nothing. At least I've excluded those from causing any trouble.