Do imported bookmarks also remain in Internet Ecplorer?
Just starting with Firefox and want to import favorites from Internet Explorer but do not want them to no longer be available in IE. I will wait to use the import feature until I know the answer to this question.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.13.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.3"
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.5
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealDownloader Plugin
- Google Update
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Picasa plugin
- BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
- Zeon PDF Plugin For Mozilla
- Windows Activation Technologies Plugin for Mozilla
- Office Live Update v1.5
- Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Yes, importing means that Firefox makes a copy of the IE favorites and convert them to the format that Firefox uses internally.
Firefox stores the bookmarks and the browser history in places.sqlite and no longer uses an HTML file or creates an HTML backup for the bookmarks.
There are 10 daily rotating JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder within the Firefox profile folder, one for each day that Firefox is started.
If you have problems with importing the IE Favorites in Firefox then export the favorites in IE to an HTML file and import that file in the Firefox Bookmarks Manager.
If you do not have the menu bar in IE then right-click the toolbar at the top to enable the Menu Bar.
- Export the favorites in IE to an HTML file (bookmarks.html):
File > Import and Export
- Import the HTML file in Firefox:
Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks > Import & Backup > Import Bookmarks from HTML
See "Import from another browser" and "Import from file":