This started happening after I was automatically updated to 18.0.2. It also occurs at some other sites , e.g., imdb.com. After several minutes, it unhangs so I can close the tab. Task manager shows very little activity .
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
I did another plugin check and found that Shockwave Flash needed to be updated. When I updated it, my problem went away. Note that I did not have to do "reset Firefox". The Flash update was to fix a security problem. I suspect that the fix had nothing to do with my problem but that the previous level of the plugin was somehow corrupted by the Firefox 18.0.2 update.
Reset firefox made no difference, to the point that after an initial boot and fresh start of firefox, the initial screen is just a window with a teeny corrupted part of the toolbars visible.
Can you attach a screenshot?
Use a compressed image type like PNG or JPG to save the screenshot.
Fortunately yes, because it happened again this morning!
I got a little bit of patience (rather than usual expecting instant gratification!) and waited, and it started working correctly after about 30 seconds, although the egg timer mouse icon still hung around for a bit longer than that.
A possible cause is security software (firewall,anti-virus) that blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.
Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.
Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.
The McAfee firewall has "smart access" enabled whereby It decides which programs are allowed access to the internet and what type of access. It shows that both firefox.exe and maintenanceservice.exe have "Full" access. There is no entry for plugin-container.
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.