Memory sky rockets over time, poor performance.
I've noticed when I come home from work, my Fire Fox is performing incredibly bad. Tabs take awhile to open, mouse wheel scrolling has a delay, etc. You tube videos would pause and stutter on the video but audio is fine. I started to monitor it and its the fact my wife will open 10 windows, sometimes with tabs, but never fully close all of them. When I come home, its at 1.5-2.2gb of memory used in task manager. I tried about:memory and its littered with facebook mentions, even though no facebook tabs are open. She might have 1 or 2 tabs up for cooking recipes. The only fix is to close FireFox all together and reopen it. If I lose her opened tabs, she gets a little upset, so I have to kill the exe in task manager so when I reopen it it will offer to resume the previous session. This is just a touch tedious after a few weeks. Is there a different command or something I can do to leave current windows open and just flush out all that used memory?
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_37 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 220.127.116.118
- BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- Citrix Receiver Plugin (Win32)
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
hello, such amounts of memory usage shouldn't be normal, even with a few windows open. as a troubleshooting step you could try to reset firefox (this will keep all bookmarks & passwords): Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings
This looks like it may have done it. I only got to do it on Tuesday, but I cleared out a bunch of the unused extensions. So now just Adblock and an old Mouse Gestures Redox. Came home last night and it was sitting at 300mb, instead of 1.7gb. Much nicer. Thanks.