Which Help file format is best for an application running in a Firefox browser?
I am writing a Help file system for a Web-based application that runs in Firefox 13. I need to make sure that the Help file output is compatible with a Firefox platform. Which types of Help platforms are compatible with Firefox? For example: .chm, .html, .xhtml, etc.?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.5
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_29 for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 18.104.22.1684
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0.1
Why are you still running Firefox 13? Please update IMMEDIATELY to Firefox 18.0.1, there are dozens of critical security issues in Firefox 13 that aren't fixed until Firefox 18
Thanks for your response. Right now, we are developing on the old platform. Unfortunately, updating to Firefox 18 is out of my control.
With that in mind: what Help platforms are compatible with Firefox? Thanks.
The HTML format should work in all modern browsers if you use W3C compliant code.
Other formats only work in specific browsers like IE.