It began a few days ago. I had started up firefox expecting my old session to turn up, as I had selected the settings for it to reappear. However, I was given a tab with a video about firefox, a tab with the firefox homepage search engine, and every time I open a fresh new blank tab, it gets redirected to some strange address which the servers cannot actually find. I ran malware and spyware, and got rid of stuff, but the sessions will not reappear unless i manually select things in the history, and the all the settings i changed in firefox reset to defaults.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Did you check the startup setting?
- Tools > Options > General > Startup: When Firefox Starts:
Show my windows and tabs from last time
I do that every time. It still sends me to a Firefox search engine page, and I have to click on restore session.
You can check for problems with the sessionstore.js and sessionstore.bak files in the Firefox Profile Folder that store session data.
Delete the sessionstore.js file and possible sessionstore-##.js files with a number and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
Deleting sessionstore.js will cause App Tabs and Tab Groups and open and closed (undo) tabs to get lost, so you will have to create them again (make a note or bookmark them).
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner:
- Windows Defender: Home Page:
- Spybot Search & Destroy:
- Kasperky Free Security Scan:
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.