Firefox will not restart old session
It began a few days ago. I had started up firefox expecting my old session to turn up, as I had selected the settings for it to reappear. However, I was given a tab with a video about firefox, a tab with the firefox homepage search engine, and every time I open a fresh new blank tab, it gets redirected to some strange address which the servers cannot actually find. I ran malware and spyware, and got rid of stuff, but the sessions will not reappear unless i manually select things in the history, and the all the settings i changed in firefox reset to defaults.
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.13.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.23
- Version 126.96.36.19976
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.5
- Google Update
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- Pando Web Plugin
- DivX Plus Web Player version 188.8.131.52
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.2069
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Did you check the startup setting?
- Tools > Options > General > Startup: When Firefox Starts:
Show my windows and tabs from last time
I do that every time. It still sends me to a Firefox search engine page, and I have to click on restore session.
You can check for problems with the sessionstore.js and sessionstore.bak files in the Firefox Profile Folder that store session data.
Delete the sessionstore.js file and possible sessionstore-##.js files with a number and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
Deleting sessionstore.js will cause App Tabs and Tab Groups and open and closed (undo) tabs to get lost, so you will have to create them again (make a note or bookmark them).
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner:
- Windows Defender: Home Page:
- Spybot Search & Destroy:
- Kasperky Free Security Scan:
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked