I am new to firefox and a lot of learning to take in.we had IE8 with lots of problems so went to firefox.gets confusing for us at times as we don't know a lot about computers.don't know how to get back of browser,things we had before:eg. page,i did get print,cut,copy,paste ok.don't have internet options on browser..but what really is frustrating,i have read many times how to get a blank page up when you click on a new tab above add.bar.all we get is this box that says.. server not found..with a bunch of foreign symbols.im tired of looking.suggestions? please tell us in easy terms.tks so much..we are using firefox mozilla 18.01 tks cheryl
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
You can set the String pref browser.newtab.url to "about:blank" on the about:config page.
See this article about the New Tab page (about:newtab):
thanks for your reply..but did not see all the items you mentioned in link.did not see any configuration areas or editor.i thought going into internet options,and setting a blank page to open on next tab would work like in IE but guess the internet options we used with IE doesn't work at all with firefox.some of it is very confusing,and not very easy steps to go by.we have only had firefox 1 day,so takes a lot to find things.tks..cheryl
Type about:config in the location (address) bar and press the "Enter" key to open the about:config page, just like you open a website by typing the URL in the location bar.
- If you see a warning message then you can confirm that you want to access the about:config page.
- use the Search bar at the top of the about:config page to locate preferences more easily
- preferences that have been modified and do not have the default value show as bold (user set)
- preferences that are user set (bold) can be reset to the default value via the right-click context menu
- preferences can be changed via the right-click context menu: Modify (String or Integer) or Toggle (Boolean) or by double-clicking the line with the pref
- preferences can be created via the right-click context menu: New -> String, Integer, Boolean
I too am tired of searching and searching and searching for help through page after page after page. I'm new to Firefox as well but just about to give it up. My BIG HUGE questions are - - why must your support pages be so difficult to search through; why could you not have an entry page with an alphabetical list of every support option, etc you offer; then when you finally provide an answer, it reads as though you have a degree in computer operating systems and know exactly what is being meant. Most people who use internet search engines did not go to school to learn operating systems !Yes, so so tired of it all
I got my new tabs open with a search engine from search.conduit.com after having downloaded a "freeware".
None of the above methods could suppress this bullshit site, which in addition was in german !
I also suppressed all the occurences of the suspected URL in the about:config page, but there was no effect at all...
Try this (it worked for me):
Look for a file named takeOverNewTab.txt in the folder
And change its content from true to false.
Note that the folder Library is a hidden file. To access it, you may use the programs toggleHiddenFilea.app or OnyX.app.
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.