How to get Firefox to stop trying to load pages blocked at router
I have a few ad sites blocked at my router, specifically ad.doubleclick.net (among others). When I try to visit a page that has ads on it by that company, or any other on my list, there is supposed to be a graphic that says "blocked by netgear firewall" wherever that ad is supposed to be. This works properly on Safri on my Mac products, and IE and Firefox on my windows box. While running ubuntu linux, it doesn't work, and any sites that have ads on them that are on my list (LOTS of them), get blocked and firefox just hangs, waiting, never times out (I've sat and watched it for 5 minutes trying), and I don't get to load that page. This might be an OS problem; I'm not sure. Thank you for your help!
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
- Java plug-in for NPAPI-based browsers.
- This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.
- The Totem 3.0.1 plugin handles video and audio streams.
- DivX Web Player version 18.104.22.168
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Why not use Adblock Plus or Adblock Edge with Firefox? It works really well with an Easylist subscription.
I have too many machines, too many OS's, too many browsers for that. Blocking at the firewall is the option that makes sense. Good idea though.