So I'm really unsure on how to articulate this question.
Recently, I've noticed that a page will become unfortmated and display more as a list than as the typical, modern layout. Reddit, for example, will almost always appear as a static list when this happens.
This issue hits me on any website and at any time. I haven't been able to narrow down a cause or a failure.
Alright, so let me describe this as best I can:
When this happens, it happens after I've been using Firefox for a couple of minutes and multiple page views. The amount of tabs or windows open don't seem to impact it.
I'll suddenly be on a page that has a series of characters(usually 3 digits) in the top left hand corner of the screen - but sometimes in the middle or the right hand side).
This string looks like some type of element ID or something to that degree.
If there is a way I can upload an image, that would be best - It's much easier to see than to say in words.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Can you attach a screenshot?
Use a compressed image type like PNG or JPG to save the screenshot.
Which security software (firewall, anti-virus) do you have?
A possible cause is security software (firewall,anti-virus) that blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.
Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.
Here is a quick example in screenshot form. You can see the list begin to deteriorate on the page (it gets worse the more I use Firefox before a restart) and the character string in the top left corner.
I'll try and find another from a different site when I get a chance.
To address the firewall/antivirus suggestion - it's possible that this is causing some problems, but if it is, I'm out of luck. Our network administrator handles all of that functionality.
However, I would be surprised if it's being caused by any particular firewall. That screenshot I took was from home on my private network, which is configured differently than the network here at work and the problem persists over both locations.
I also wasn't able to find an anti-virus running as either an application or a service. My user account has administrative privileges so unless it's hidden from me specifically, I don't think that would be causing any issues.
Here's another page example
One last one, this is a good example of how bad it can get.
This can be caused by security software that inserts a character count before some elements.
I've seen this reported before, but don't remember what caused it.
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: We’re going through some system changes, that may have slowed responses to your questions. If you had asked a question in the last couple of months, please re-post it and the community will help you as soon as we can. If you’ve registered after February 7th, please register again, the accounts on the previous site were not migrated to this temporary site. If you joined us before February 7, please reset your password if you have trouble logging into this temporary site.