CSS fails on page, numbers at top of page
So I'm really unsure on how to articulate this question.
Recently, I've noticed that a page will become unfortmated and display more as a list than as the typical, modern layout. Reddit, for example, will almost always appear as a static list when this happens.
This issue hits me on any website and at any time. I haven't been able to narrow down a cause or a failure.
Alright, so let me describe this as best I can:
When this happens, it happens after I've been using Firefox for a couple of minutes and multiple page views. The amount of tabs or windows open don't seem to impact it.
I'll suddenly be on a page that has a series of characters(usually 3 digits) in the top left hand corner of the screen - but sometimes in the middle or the right hand side).
This string looks like some type of element ID or something to that degree.
If there is a way I can upload an image, that would be best - It's much easier to see than to say in words.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Can you attach a screenshot?
Use a compressed image type like PNG or JPG to save the screenshot.
Which security software (firewall, anti-virus) do you have?
A possible cause is security software (firewall,anti-virus) that blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.
Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.
Here is a quick example in screenshot form. You can see the list begin to deteriorate on the page (it gets worse the more I use Firefox before a restart) and the character string in the top left corner.
I'll try and find another from a different site when I get a chance.
To address the firewall/antivirus suggestion - it's possible that this is causing some problems, but if it is, I'm out of luck. Our network administrator handles all of that functionality.
However, I would be surprised if it's being caused by any particular firewall. That screenshot I took was from home on my private network, which is configured differently than the network here at work and the problem persists over both locations.
I also wasn't able to find an anti-virus running as either an application or a service. My user account has administrative privileges so unless it's hidden from me specifically, I don't think that would be causing any issues.
Here's another page example
One last one, this is a good example of how bad it can get.
This can be caused by security software that inserts a character count before some elements.
I've seen this reported before, but don't remember what caused it.