My firefox upgraded this morning to 18.0.1 and I lost ALL my bookmarks that were previously saved in Firefox. How can I get them back?
My Firefox upgraded to 18.0.1 this morning automatically and all my bookmarks were lost. I need them back
Additional System Details
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Google Update
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_32 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.3
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.2069
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- iPrint Plug-in 1.0.0 - Provides iPrint client services for Windows
- Allows for direct printing of PDF files from the browser.
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Sorry that this has happened, but it is not typical behavior.
Firefox automatically created backup copies of the bookmarks, for details of how to restore bookmarks from a backup see this support article - Restore bookmarks from backup or move them to another computer
This support article may also be of use - Recover lost or missing Bookmarks
You can check for problems with the places.sqlite database file in the Firefox Profile Folder.
"Not typical behavior". I think not. I am yet another person this happened to. Even if I can get them back, you've just wasted an hour or two of my time. I won't be using firefox again after I've recovered my bookmarks. If I recover them. Thanks for nothing.
You should be able to fix this easily because Firefox keeps ten JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder, one each day that you start Firefox.
So a lot must go wrong like a full profile loss to lose all bookmarks.
If rebooting or deleting all places.sqlite files like I posted above didn't make the bookmarks reappear then you can try to restore them manually in the Bookmarks Manager (Library).