Software update window keeps appearing but Firefox is up-to-date?
I recently downloaded Firefox (new HD) and have 18.0. Every day or two I get a Software Update popping up, with a link: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/18.0.1/releasenotes/. When I click 'install' it never connects, never does anything. When I check the Mozilla website for updates, it says my Firefox is up-to-date.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Please download Firefox from www.getfirefox.com and install it over your current version of Firefox.
Same problem here. Downloaded 18.0.1 from getfirefox.com, and the problem is still showing up. It's particularly nasty for me, because for some reason when the window is showing my screen saver won't kick in, and if it stays up overnight it burns itself into my monitor for a few days.
Reinstalling it worked. I thought it would be all annoying to do, but it installed over the other copy. . . of course, now the window pops up wanting me to install 18.0.2. . .
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Oh, the reinstalling worked. I was just being silly about the 18.0.2 update window - just because it popped up so shortly after I installed 18.0.1. It hasn't come back since.