Pinned tabs - how to return to main site
I've been avoiding updating to FF18 because I'm so used to using PermaTabs, in particular being able to go back easily to the main URL for a particular permatab eg the home page of the NYT or WSJ after reading an article. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this with pinned tabs. What if anything am I missing?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Version 188.8.131.5212
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.23
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- LogMeIn remote control components
- View PDF documents within your web browser.
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1
Do you have permatabs working in Firefox 14? Then it should work in 18. Please update to Firefox 18.0.1 IMMEDIATELY, as Firefox 14 has many critical security and stability issues.
I have Permatab working with 14, with compatibility checker disabled. I haven't tried updating since 15, which stopped Permatab from working. Are you saying it nevertheless works with 18?
And is there any answer to my original question?
Update to 18 and give it a whirl.
Second, no, there is no way to go to the original tab with the click of a button, but you can use the back button to do the same thing. Also, it looks like permatab was abandoned by it's dev a very long time ago, try looking for a replacement addon
A whirl - is that a technical term? :)
Yes, unfortunately Permatab got dropped a while ago, beaten out by the (inferior) Pin Tabs. I've tried TabLoc and TabMix but they don't cut it.
Of course, I can always get back to home one way or another, PT is great because I can set a keyboard shortcut too. Perhaps Mozilla could take another look at the features of Pin Tab.