Home page keeps resetting to 'Safe search' and the default search engine to amazon
The home page resets from google to safe search every time I turn off and then on my computer. The search bar in the top corner also keeps resetting to Amazon search when i wish to use google. I also had to delete Chrome because of this reason.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.11.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- SafeSearch the world wide web.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.01
- WildTangent Games App V2 Presence Detector
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 18.104.22.1688
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 22.214.171.1243
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
My issue is that I have my homepage set to the firefox default homepage, but when I try to use its search function, I get sent to wikipedia instead of google. I tried to reset firefox to factory, and it generated 2 crash reports and did not fix my problem.
Try to use the SearchReset extension to reset some preferences to the default values.
Note that the SearchReset extension only runs once and then uninstalls automatically, so it won't show on the "Firefox > Add-ons" page (about:addons).
The search bar on the about:home page uses the browser.search.defaultenginename pref, so you can also check this pref on the about:home page.