firefox will not start and profile manager will not start
This has happened on two accounts on my laptop. I am running windows 7, 64 bit and firefox 18.0. Firefox had been running on this machine for several years without incident, but suddenly when I try to start firefox, it will not start. The little wait icon spins for about a second then disappears without starting firefox. Other browser will start and run. I reboot and when I click on the icon to start firefox nothing happens. I tried to start the profile manager as seen in the knowledge base, but nothing starts either. I switched to another account on this computer and firefox started and ran for about a week, until today where it just stopped working. I have not tried to reinstall firefox as the message boards say this will not help. Any ideas?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.0
- Google Update
- Picasa plugin
- Winamp Application Detector
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
I can not start firefox to get to this help window.
Hello scjsb, can you start firefox in safe mode by holding down the shift key while starting Firefox ?
do you have a crash Report ID ?
Thanks for your help. I had tried starting Firefox in safe-mode before I posted this request, but it did not work. I tried to restore the system to an earlier version, but that made everything worse. Two accounts were unusable and one sort of worked, so I reloaded the operating system and now firefox works, for how long, I don't know. But thanks again for your suggestion.
DOESN'T START IN SAFE MODE EITHER
I have this problem 3
Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.
I have a dual boot machine [XP64 & WIN 7]. I've been having this problem in XP64. Unfortunately, the dual boot doesn't allow the safe mode boot into XP; only Win 7.
However, since my post I installed Firefox 19. It is running [smiles].
I had this problem as well. Did all of the above but only installing Firefox 19 solved the problem.