Occasionally when I start Firefox v 16.0.2 for Mac OS X ( this is the highest version I can have on my computer) audio for commercial / spam sites plays.
I tried deleting all cookies, completely removing Firefox and reinstalling it but it doesn't seem to work. Whatever it is has only affected Firefox. Chrome seems unaffected.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 10.3 r183
- Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 220.127.116.11
- ActiveGS v3.5.903 : run Apple IIGS program
- DivX Plus Web Player version 18.104.22.168
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- RealPlayer Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
Try to delete the sessionstore.js file and possible sessionstore-##.js files with a number and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
Deleting sessionstore.js will cause App Tabs and Tab Groups and open and closed (undo) tabs to get lost, so you will have to create them again (make a note or bookmark them).
Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.
See "Creating a profile":
If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from an existing profile to the new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.