I have built a website using Wordpress at http://apsoc.net.au/new/. Someone is attaching spam messages by linking words in my text, i.e. run your cursor over the word and you are offered a bonus on your first gambling deposit by "CouponDropDown" or an opportunity to win a mobile phone. But these hacked words only appear in Firefox on my PC. My wife uses Firefox on a Mac and the same text on her computer is not hacked. I have run a full Norton scan and it says my system is clean. How can I stop this hacking of my website? Otherwise I may have to change browsers.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
This issue can be caused by an extension that you have installed.
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
Problem was solved by simply re-setting Firefox, thanks.
The method stated above doesn't apply to the latest version of Firefox 18 for Mac. (Based on the myth that Mac's are immune from Malware. You can't block text enhance adware on Firefox 18 for mac, which means you have to clear your cookies and cache every time you start up.
I hope the next version addresses this problem.