my download speed should be 30 meg a second but i cant get firefox to register and use more than 2 meg.
I am running a 6 core 3.33 machine with 2 gigs video memory and 6 gigs of physical ram with a windows 7 os. My internet speed is 30 meg but firefox wont register more than 2 meg and downloads and response times are slow. Is there something i can do to fix this issue. I know that i am getting the proper speeds from using other applications. any help would be appreciated.
Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.Read this answer in context 0
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_37 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.2"
- DivX Plus Web Player version 188.8.131.52
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
hello thebuggyone, could you specify how you're measuring download speed in firefox (through a flash based website?) & which security related programs are running on your pc? thank you...
speedtest.net and watching slow download speeds. i use avg and superantispyware for viruses but have no firewall whatnot up. Other pcs on this home network get better speeds.
speedtest uses flash for speed measurements & adobe has introduced a special protected mode for its flash plugin only for firefox, which might cause slowdowns when there is interference between the following processes (so you might not observe it on IE or other browsers): firefox.exe, plugin-container.exe & FlashPlayerPlugin_11*.exe - please make sure that your av-engine isn't blocking/sandboxing them in any way (if there's an option to whitelist those processes please try this)..
no that didnt work.
So no one has an idea? I really like firefox but i need the speed I am losing. I would greatly appreciate any help.
Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.
Booting in safe mode worked but how do i use that for reg mode. I started firefox in safe mode and it was still slow so i am assuming its being interfered with another application. i just cant figure out how to identify it.
Which security software (firewall, anti-virus) do you have?
It may be interfering with downloading files by Firefox.
i use avg no firewall and superantispyware