Sometimes when I turn on my laptop, my keyboard will not work in firefox but works in every other application... Not even one key will work. I have to restart my computer to get it to work again... and lately it has happened every single time I have opened firefox... I am unsure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.
It irritates me I have to use internet explorer... terrible browser.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Thank you for posting on Mozilla Support. We value and appreciate as a user.
Please try a "Reset" as outlined below;
The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.
To Reset Firefox do the following:
- Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
- Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
- Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.
Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Did you know that Mozilla Support is helped out by volunteers? Be part of SUMO! http://mzl.la/OJtpch
Donate more than $30 and get a T-Shirt! https://donate.mozilla.org/page/contribute/joinmozilla
I have done that multiple times and it still continues to happen every day.
I even reimaged my computer on tuesday hoping something would make it better, but firefox still refuses to let me use my keyboard!
Besides, resetting or uninstalling/reinstalling every day gets to be annoying.
Do you have multiple keyboard layouts installed?
It is possible that you have switched the keyboard layout by accident.
- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258824 - How to change your keyboard layout
Windows remembers the keyboard layout setting per application and you may have changed the keyboard layout by accident via a keyboard shortcut.
- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/The-Language-bar-overview - The Language bar (overview)
- Make sure that you have the Language bar visible on the Windows Taskbar
- You can do that via the right-click context menu of the Taskbar: Toolbars > Language Bar
- Check the keyboard language (keyboard layout) setting for the application that has focus via the icon on the Language bar
- You need to do that while Firefox has focus because Windows remembers the keyboard layout setting per application
- The default key combination to rotate the layout is the Ctrl+Shift or Alt+Shift combination that Firefox uses for some menu items
- To avoid an unintentional switch, assign a specific key sequence (Alt/Ctrl+Shift+number) to select keyboard layouts and remove the key combination to rotate layouts (Alt+Shift or Ctrl+Shift)
Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Keyboards and Languages > Change keyboards > Advanced key settings > Change key sequence
I have no idea what you are talking about... so no??
I have never changed any keyboard settings in firefox at all.. it just simply no longer works in firefox....
i just uninstalled and reinstalled firefox for the 9th time this week... keyboard does not work at all in it.
I have the problem too, on WIndows XP sp3. Firefox works well only if i reinstall the version 16 (french). Since the version 17, keyboard doen't respond....
All others sofwtares (IE et chrome) work perfectly ;-(
- March 21, the site will be in read only mode for 4 hours for a maintenance. If you are trying to ask a question and an article does not solve your issue, please find one of our partner sites for more help: @firefox, /r/firefox on reddit, and Mozillazine.org, we will have community standing by. Or live on our IRC channel - https://client02.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.mozilla.org channel #sumo