I installed 18.0 today. I have it set up to open FF search page (about:home) when I open a new tab. This search page no longer functions; I can input search terms, but neither the search button nor enter does anything. It just sits there.
I tried the steps outlined here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/934580?esab=a&as=aaq It didn't help. I also tried addons disabled. No go.
- All posts
- Helpful Solutions
Try to reset some preferences to the default with the SearchReset extension:
Note that the SearchReset extension only runs once and then uninstalls automatically, so it won't show on the "Firefox > Add-ons" page (about:addons).
You need to close and restart Firefox to make the about:home page work properly.
If this didn't help then try this:
Reset the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone pref via the right-click context menu to the default on the about:config page and close and restart Firefox to restore the about:home page to its default.
- Open the about:config page via the location bar
- Type in the Filter bar: mstone
- Right-click the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone line and select: Reset
- Close and restart Firefox
If this didn't help then delete the delete the chromeappsstore.sqlite file in the Firefox Profile Folder and repeat the above.
Thanks for the reply, cor-el.
I just tried the search reset addon. No help.
Did you restart Firefox after installing SearchReset?
Did you try the second suggestion and reset the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone pref on the about:config page and close and restart Firefox?
OK. Found the problem. It was Tab Mix Plus.
Options > Tabs > Tab Mix Plus Options > New Tabs > address: was reset during the upgrade to "home:newtab" while the browser.newtab.url was "about:home". Set them both to about:home and now it works fine.
(Note: I don't know why disabling addons didn't work... it should have disabled Tab Mix Plus and eliminated the conflict.)
EDIT. Yes, I restarted the browser. And I had tried both of those other steps before I asked for help... see the link in my original question.
Thanks for the help, cor-el.
If prefs were set incorrectly by an extension then starting in Safe mode wouldn't reset them to meaningful value (safe mode doesn't affect prefs).
- March 19, the site will be in read only mode for 4 hours for a maintenance. If you are trying to ask a question and an article does not solve your issue, please find one of our partner sites for more help: @firefox, /r/firefox on reddit, and Mozillazine.org, we will have community standing by. Or live on our IRC channel - https://client02.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.mozilla.org channel #sumo